Ninja Star is a cyclical movement that starts from back plank to reverse plank and back as shown in the above video tutorial. A variation called “Ninja Bat” starts from straddle bat to reverse plank and then back to straddle bat.
- Slightly bend the knee to allow your flyer to rotate easier
- Disconnect your inside hand to allow for the rotation
- guide flyer to reverse plank by swinging your outside hand like a cowboy throws a lasso rope
- Common mistakes: bending arms instead of extending/locking out to support flyer in reverse plank youtu.be/bvkHU4raLfI?t=2m7s, not having enough strength and experience balancing flyer on one leg, and holding hands too tightly during a fall causing the flyer to fall on their head.
- Heavy straddle (but don’t pike too much) onto base’s pivoting foot
- Stay tight in the core and lift your head and chest in reverse plank
- Wait for your base to provide a foot before you shift your weight
- Common mistakes: not pushing down into base’s hands, not piking the legs coming into straddle bat causing you to fall straight down on your head, and being unclear about the movement
balance weight in a plank on opposite limbs on the ground. tripod headstand.
practicing a plank to a straddled plow on the ground (it’s like a windmill in breakdancing youtu.be/swId_MFHywI?t=27s)
- all of the prerequisites listed in the base section
- The best thing you can do is to slightly bend your leg to lower the height of the fall while still engaging your legs and core so it’s not a sudden drop.
- Fall to the side and brace with your feet down first immediately followed by your hands. Roll onto your shoulder and back
- Spotter: Do not spot this if you are a beginner or do not understand the transitions!
- Get low in a squatted position face to face with the flyer in reverse plank, duck under the leg (moving towards where it came from) and then bring a hand to the top leg’s hip (the leg that’s coming at your head)
- Spot each progression individually and BEWARE the flying feet. Be completely clear about the transitions you will be spotting. Be prepared to duck.
- Common mistakes: spotter gets kicked in the head when flyer comes with momentum from reverse plank back into straddle bat